Friday, June 20, 2008

Trivia time


Fun facts about Lee Vining:

1. Its population is 488, and its elevation is 6781. (Have YOU ever lived in a town where the elevation was more than ten times a bigger number than the population? I certainly have not...)

2. The town was originally called Lakeview, but then they found that there was already a Lakeview, CA, so they named it after Leroy Vining instead. He founded the town in 1852.

3. There is nearby ice climbing! (Which does not sound fun at all to me!)

4. Lee Vining lies close to Mono Lake, which is three times as salty as the ocean.

5. If you sat in Mono Lake long enough, you would become permanently encrusted in tufa, which is limestone that builds on the lake floor. Nowadays, many tufa towers rise from the lake because the water level is lower than it used to be. (Count me out on this one, too... the "sitting in Mono Lake until I become tufa" part, that is.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna be a Tufa Towa for Halloween.