Friday, July 24, 2009

The positives

After getting word this morning that Brian was not hired as Las Cruces's newest music teacher, I allowed myself a minute pity party... then came up with a list of the positive aspects of returning to California.

1. We'd saved up money, not knowing if Brian would be paid at the end of August. Turns out he will, so we can use that savings to pay off our credit card debt. Hallelujah! Freedom!
2. We don't have to move! I was sooo not looking forward to packing & unpacking all those boxes.
3. If he had gone back to teaching, our income would have been substantially reduced, and I would have had to get a job. Not that I mind working... but my kids are my first priority. Now they can remain so.
4. If we get the one remaining spot in Lee Vining's preschool program for the fall, Jack can attend. Yes, that's right: in California, he need only be three years old by December 1st... and he'll be three on November 17th!
5. Back to the savings we'd built up: instead of using it for moving expenses, I can now get a new cell phone. And, possibly, a laptop!
6. We won't let down Brian's boss and superintendent, or our landlords, or anyone else to whom we might have commitments in the Eastern Sierra.
7. Brian will still be doing the job he really wants. He's always loved teaching, but I think administration is truly his calling.

So, the pity party is over. I am going to remain positive about returning to and living in the Eastern Sierra. I think God's telling us we're not quite ready to move. Maybe (as we've said nearly every summer for seven years now...) next year!

No comments: