Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Back in the land of the living

For three weeks, we've endured sickness, moving, snow, and as a result, very little sleep. It's not been fun! I realized, yesterday morning at about three a.m., that I have merely been surviving these past few weeks. I've only made it out of town a few times to load up on groceries and other supplies. I haven't had much adult human contact. My focus has been on getting well... and, of course, moving (which isn't fun when you're sick!). I haven't been living. I complained to my friend on the phone about my status yesterday, and she surprised the heck out of me a couple hours later by showing up with a bouquet of beautiful yellow daffodils! Finally, everyone in our house is well, and although Kate's sleeping patterns are still crazy, we all feel better. I made a series of playdates for this week, went to the basketball game today, and will rejoin our Mammoth playgroup tomorrow. The flowers symbolize spring coming (although not really soon), and for me a commitment to live, not just exist. The mere site of them makes me realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Now, if I could just find a vase for the daffodils, amongst all our still-packed moving boxes, instead of the plastic pitcher they're currently sitting in!

No comments: